CTE UK is the latest company in our sector to highlight the issue of mental health in the construction related industry, as part of its efforts it has sponsored a charity bike ride to raise funds for Mental Health UK and rugby related mental health charity Restart R-P-A. The effort is aimed at raising the focus on suicides among males in the UK – many of them in construction related trades.
CTE UK sponsored the four participants for their trip during which they cycled to every Premiership rugby club in six days, visiting 12 clubs, highlighting the fact that there are 12 male suicides a day in the UK. The company provided the cycling kit and accommodation for their challenge.
The itinerary for the week was as follows:
• 15th October - Sale - Worcester
• 16th October - Worcester - Gloucester - Bristol - Bath - Western-Super-Mare
• 17th October - Western-Super-Mare - Exeter - Yeovil
• 18th October - Yeovil - London Irish
• 19th October - London Irish - Harlequins - Twickenham - Saracens - Northampton
• 20th October - Northampton - Leicester - Wasps
One of the men, ‘Stuart’, has lived most of his adult life with depression and anxiety. It was only after retiring from rugby that he became very ill, which led to a suicide attempt. The men are hoping to help reduce the stigma of mental health among men and in doing so the number of suicides, by showing how even the biggest men on the pitch can still have their demons.